Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Serendipity

Serendipity, do you know that movie?! If you like John Cusack then it is definitely one to see. Surprisingly, my husband introduced me to the movie and I fell in love with it. It might be kinda cheesy and slightly unrealistic but after today I don't know if I believe it to be so unrealistic. As the movies starts out John Cusack meets a women whom he is more than attracted to. She is also attracted to him but as she gives him her number it flies off into the wind. She decides that it is not the right time for them to be together (I promise I will relate this to my story soon...) Last week I went to the Men-Tsee-Khang (Tibetan Medicine Clinic) to see if I could get permission to observe the doctors. It took me much too long to make this approach but I wanted to finish a couple of books before I even asked. Guess what?! I haven't finished them so I decided I should just go. I had previously talked to a doctor at the Karuna Home that was from the clinic and she had specifically directed me to Dr. Pasang. To my dismay Dr. Pasang's door was closed so they told me to go to door #3. It was the same lady I had spoken to at the Karuna Home. She explained that Dr. Pasang, the senior doctor, will be out for a week and I can only speak to him about doing the observations. As I have participated and observed in the community I continue to see how important seeking approval from the most senior in age or profession is to being respectful. No one wants to step on each other's toes. Everyone has a job and they don't go beyond their boundaries - they are not afraid to say, "I can't help you but I will find out who can." Well, as of today it had been a week so I decided to go back. As I approached the clinic again I walked up and saw patients lined up to see the doctors, to receive their meds, and to pay the bill. I knew it wasn't the right time because it was too busy so I just asked one of the medicine dispensing ladies when a better time would be. She exclaimed that she did not know but that I could call his cell and she jotted it down for me. I was so happy. Getting numbers around here is quite difficult. Most places don't have work phones and, if they do, it is difficult to find it because it's not online. Phonebooks are not very popular here and if there is a number in it it's not always accurate.Everyone has a cell phone and numbers are constantly changing. It almost always works out that you have to know somebody who knows somebody and then you might get the right number. So, as you can imagine I was thrilled to get his cell number. After I left the clinic I decided it was best if I just go home to work on school work. As I sat in the rickshaw I thought about how I might ask if I can observe, the doctor's possible response, and a patient's response to having a white person in the room. Just about half way home I experienced my "serendipity" moment. The number wiggled itself right out from between my book and my stomach and launched itself through the wind into oblivion. Okay,maybe it wasn't that epic but I had no idea where it went. It actually took me a second to even process what had just happened. To my chagrin I paid for a 40 rupee rickshaw ride just to walk half the ride back to find the paper. I searched and searched but the wind was strong and I figured there was no way I was going to find it after an hour of looking. I had a small thought in me say that it just isn't the plan for me....but what else would I do. I decided to just laugh it off, tell Beau my epic movie quality adventure, and ask him to go ask for the number again since the SOS school is right next door. I hope the number doesn't get lost this time. I am anxious to get the number and finally get in contact with the Men-Tsee-Khang.

Sometimes I feel like I am falling behind in my project but then I realize that part of working at the Organic Research and Training Center contributes to the Tibetan Medicine part of my project. On the farm is an experimental herbs and medicinal plants section. For my Cultural History of Medicinal Plants class I have to find out about 20 medicinal plants in the community. I think the farm contains about 10 to 15, a few of these include: Brahmin, Ginseng, Stevia, Insulin, Turmeric, Lemongrass, Bitter Leaf, Vanilla, Ginger and Hibiscus. I have had the chance to take many pictures of these plants which will be very beneficial for my project. 

Currently, on the farm it has been time to take up sewing. This season the monsoons have come very late. Normally it begins the end of May or June but it is already July and the rain is just enough to begin sustaining the crops. Most of the farmers and laborers have been out in the horticulture fields which I was able to see for the first time a couple weeks ago. They just planted 300 silver oaks, dry paddy, basil (this is very important to the Indians), lemongrass, and millet. I have not been out in the large fields working but mostly in the nursery. Last week I was able to propagate Basmati flavored leaf. It is a plant that you can add to your rice to give it the flavor of Basmati rice. I must say it works pretty well. The day I did the propagation was quite interesting. I arrived to the farm but Damdul was not there. Dolma, the accountant, helped me by giving him a call so that I could figure out something to do for the day. She told me I was to make seedlings of the Basmati Leaf. I didn't know how to do it. I knew what the plant looked like but I had no idea if I was supposed to uproot a whole plant, pull off parts of it and even then I didn't know what parts. I told Dolma I wasn't sure how so she went out there with me to show me. It only took her a second of looking at the plant before she was mind boggled too. She called up Sangay to ask him how to do it. From what she understood you just pull off a leaf from as far down as you can and plant halfway down in the bags. It seemed odd but I started as she had instructed. It was had only been 10 minutes when one of the farmers headed towards me to laugh at what we had been doing and show us the correct way. I couldn't help but laugh too. When making seedlings of the Basmati Leaf there must be a root. It is like chives, if the root is there then it will grow but if it is not it will probably die. Sometimes I feel like I lack the knowledge to carry out these "common" processes but that is okay. I never have been trained to do these things but the learning is simple. I really enjoy being taught in such a real way. I don't have to sit in a classroom and read books all the time. I am really there and get to experience and learn hands on.

 I am told that practically everyone experiences some kind of culture shock while in the field. When I read about it and tried to understand it I thought it was associated with some kind of frustration or anger. After being in field for almost two months I have realized that it is not always like that, at least not for me. I have felt more of a missing feeling. I miss hot water, bathtubs,painting and cooking. Over the years I have connected relaxation with sitting in a hot bathtub, with painting, and with cooking. When I need to relax my body I bathe, when I need to rest my mind I paint or when I am just frustrated with myself I cook for my husband. I realize now that culture shock doesn't have to be anything big it is just understanding it and finding ways to cope. I have done this by watching an American movie here and there. At home it isn't uncommon for Beau and I to watch a Hindi movie instead but here I feel the need for American movies because it is how I relax and cope with being here. The biggest culture shock experience has been dealing with eating gluten. If you don't already know I have a gluten sensitivity. I thought I would have difficulty dealing with it so I just decided I would eat it. Well, it is taking it's toll. I have had a very difficult time digesting and so I like to sleep for 9 to 10 hours a night at least. I love gluten so it is difficult to choose not to eat it. This has been a physical wear on my body that I had not planned on effecting my consciousness. The food is so good though! I have come to realize through this experience that culture shock is certainly not always effected by your emotions or attachments, sometimes, it is a literal shock to your body like with my gluten sensitivity. Culture shock is a term that can be taken so broadly. Some individuals will experience it as frustration but in my experience it just gives me excitement to hop in a hot bath when I get home.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed the importance of following order like that also...Palden was a champ for taking me to the headmaster who wasn't there and so the second headmaster sent us to the director who sent us to the principal who called the headmasters office and gave them permission to give us permission and the rest is history, but seriously I owe that guy big time. No worries, I'm sure you'll get all the work you need to done, plus you look awesome while doing it in all that fancy elephant attire and ridiculously awesome jewelry. I'm glad none of us are shy of using our shopping time well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way culture shock takes so many different forms is so fascinating to me. Honestly I feel like the form culture shock takes depends entirely on how you are brought into the new place. I feel like when they teach about it they make it sound like this universal malady, like some kind of awful flu that everyone gets and it is unavoidable, but I don't think that is necessarily the case. With the right friends and resources and planning, even India is not as jarring as people make it out to be.

    I for one have spent an embarrassing amount of my free time on food blogs while I have been here, haha. I've never had this problem before.

    ReplyDelete