Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Gatekeepers

As part of my journal today I decided to find some people to contact in Bylakuppe that could help me find an opportunity serve on the farms. Though many of the email address I found were old I did find a few that may be able to help. One of the organizations I emailed was the Himalayan Insitiute. They are based in Pensyvaniya but have helped in several Tibetan communities all over India, particularly Bylakuppe and Rabgayling. One  of there projects is to build trees to help return chemically damaged soil to its organic state.


They have also played a part in helping diversify crops on the plantations. I hope that by contacting them I can find more specific information out about where I can help on these diversified plantations and that they can help me contact individuals that can build my rapport in the community.

One of the other organiaztions I contacted was the Bylakuppe Settlement office which is connected to the Central Tibetan Relief Commitee. They play a  key role in training and demonstrating orgainc farming  in over 10 Tibetan Refugee communities. "In each settlement one or two agriculture extensionists organize trainings and assist the farmers to adopt several organic techniques, which include both traditional and modern practices.
  • Soil fertility is maintained by appropriate crop rotation, green manures, cover crops, application of compost, vermicompost, biofertilizers, and traditional preparations like jeevamruth and panchagav.
  • Pests and diseases are controlled through the application of home-made leaf extracts, integrated by purchased biopesticides whenever necessary.
  • Biodynamic methods have been introduced and are increasingly popular among farmers."http://ctrc.tibet.net/agriculture.html
As I get in contact with these different organizations I can a hoping I can gain access to farms in Bylakuppe and individuals that I may interview. I want to gain rapport with  the Tibetan refugees so that I can become involved in farming in Bylakuppe. As I gain more and  more contacts I can recieve access to the farms thourgh gatekeepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment