Wednesday, March 28, 2012

In the Field

Class this last period was very beneficial,  or at least I can see where it will be beneficial for preparing for the field. My original worries were whether it would be a good part of farming season, whether the Tibetan refugees would want a woman observing them and if we could find a host family for my husband and I. Now most of those worries are taken away. Prime farming is from May to September, Mr. Damdul has opened the gate to sharing farming information with me when I arrive and we already have arrangements with a host family. I find myself more concerned with dealing with the culture shock of when I first arrive in Bylakuppe. Luckily I have a pretty social husband so that will make it slightly easier but there is still the thoughts of being thousands of miles away from everything I will have known. Another worry for me is finding a translator when and if I find it necessary. Are there going to be very many Tibetan refugee women with the time to translate for me if I need to talk to individuals who don't speak english and how long is this going to delay starting interviews? Lastly, one of my many other concerns is where I will fit into the community? How will they percieve me? In Malcomns case it was his host family just said that is isn't doing anything. I hope that I will not be seen that way and if it is I hope that I can understand the concept of nothingness in the culture. There are many things to worry about (i.e. robbed) particuarly the thing I mentioned above but I also realize there is a time to just recognize possible diffculties and just work through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment