Monday, April 2, 2012

Scholarships

Scholarships! Yes, great things, and something I am definitely depending on. Money is certainly tight when it is costing about 13,000 dollars for my husband and I to go to Bylakuppe, India. I have been working long hours when I probably shouldn't be because I have been sick but you do what you gotta do. Last week I found out that I can now qualify for the half tuition scholarship for spring and summer terms. BYU requires a transfer student to attend the school a year before academic scholarships can be received and I finally hit that mark. I was already budgeting the scholarship because I thought I would get it but now it is absolutely in the picture now.

I started filling out the Field Studies scholarship today and I feel like I am lacking substantial answers to receive funding. For example, how will this experience fit with your major/minor or career goals? I am not exactly sure. I don't know how to apply this to an Exercise Science major. I choose this project because it was interesting and I have fulfilled all my electives previous to this project. I hope that it will be beneficial as being a mother and wife in being able to garden organically and provide various fruits and vegetables that can sustain my family to some extent but that won't be for a while. I am hoping that a 6.35 GPA will help get me a substantial scholarship because who can seriously beat that?!


Ok, maybe I'm not that smart....Beau got home and I was showing him my scholarship application and he caught my 6.35 GPA. I would have never realized it. I am slightly dyslexic especially when it comes to numbers. So, maybe I have a 3.65 GPA and I don't have a great reason to do my project other than to be with my husband but that is okay with me. I am excited to be with the Tibetan people and learn about how they learned to farm in India. I am excited to talk with Tenzin Damdul, the manager of the Organic Research and Training Center, and expereience everything Bylakuppe has to offer.

1 comment: