Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Japanese Encephalitis

Today we got our second to last set of shots, the Japanese Encephalitis shot. It is a $261 (plus another $261) shot that I would say is well worth it! Though many may think is too costly, I know I certainly do, Japanese Encephalitis is something I rather not get while I am in India.
Japanese Encephalitis is a serious infection caused by a virus which is spread by the bite of an infected mosquitoes.




Bylakuppe is a very humid place, especially during the summer, during the monsoon. It is a rural community where mosquitoes are highly populated. Although it can be avoided to some extent by repellents, long clothing, and staying in screened areas it is hard to avoid for nearly 4 months.



A person who is infected by Japanese Encephalitis can have no symptoms while others will have raging fever, headache or severe encephalitis (brain infection). Symptoms of encephalitis are fever, neck stiffness, changes in consciousness, or coma. Approximately 1 in 4 people who are infected with encephalitis dies and of those that don't die, half suffer permanent brain damage. The shot is recommended to any travelers to Asia who spend at least a month in areas where Japanese Encephalitis occurs, those who are going to be engaging in outdoor activities or where there have been outbreaks. Considering that I will be working on rural farms in Bylakuppe (Southern India) where Japanese Encephalitis risk is high I found it worth the cost.



My sister-in-law's father suffered from encephalitis. I don't know much other than he wasn't really there in the head. One day last November he was taking a walk and crossed the street at an undesignated spot. A 20 year old girl hit him and killed him instantly. I don't want to be that crazy person that crossed the street at the wrong spot because I didn't know any better and even more importantly I don't want to cause a 20 year old girl, or anyone for that matter, to have to suffer the image or what happened like with my sister-in-law's father.

1 comment:

  1. glad you got it!!!! it makes me feel better about blowing my money--so do all of these facts about getting the sickness. thanks for this awesome post.

    ReplyDelete