Friday, February 3, 2012

Hmmm.... Animal Volunteer?

You never know what you will find online! I was looking up Tibetan herbal pharmacology  and I found "Bylakuppe's Rabies and Disease Control Programme". It is a rather fascinating project. It is a no kill volunteer program to help dogs. It is located on one of the monasteries grounds in Bylakuppe. The program is partnered with Sera Mey Social Services which has large set ups for health care. The property is large enough to accommodate shelters for dog recovery and long term palliative care shelter.

Rules:
  • For cultural reasons you will not be able to consume meat or alcohol on site :(

  • Clothing should be discreet for both men and women;

  • If you are with a partner please be very discreet in how you relate to each other in public;

  • The monastery is a working university with schedules in operation, so while interaction with the monks here is a special feature of this project, this may be limited.



  • Aurora and Derrick (one of my nieces and nephews) and I at the Phoenix Zoo


    The program provides living space and some food for the duration of your stay. The only dilemma is that you have to be a vet or vet's nurse to do the program. Oh why didn't I become a vet? Since I was a kid I had a passion for animals (except house cats). I am not one of those crazy obsessed animal people but I would love to work around them.

     I never knew till a couple years ago that I actually got this passion from my dad. His dream job was to be a vet but he chose construction instead. I always recognized his love and acceptance for my crazy pets. At one point I had convinced them to let me have an African spurred tortoise ( the 3rd largest land tortoise) or a poisonous dart frog (they aren't really poisonous in captivity) but I never got either of them because they are so expensive to take care of. I did have dogs, cats, leopard geckos, frogs, chickens, a duck and a goose growing up- granted, most of them were at different times. Most of our pets were a product of one of my sisters bringing home and animal and my parents feeling guilty enough to take care of it. I am now committed to having a  poisonous dart frog when we come back from India (Beau is more than willing to accept). Yay!!!!!


    I wish this was a possible project for me. I am still interested in seeing if I can but I am kinda doubting it because I don't want to get the rabies shot and I am betting there is a risk in that type of situation. But we shall see:)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment