Friday, February 10, 2012

A Matter of Location

The participant observation at the airport turned out to be more exciting than I have previously experienced. I started to notice the inquisitive look of the security guards looking over individuals IDs and passports and the questioning expression of the individual wondering if it would be accepted or denied. As you prepare to go through the scans most people look around and look at what other are doing (They don't want to do anything wrong). Others are very intent and set the example of what to do. Mothers are generally checking over and over again whether they have everything they need. Some individuals are digging in their bags for their plane ticket or have wandering eyes trying to spot the nearest bathroom or food court. Customers waiting to board the plan lay on their mom or spouse lap until it is time to board. Every individual as their own way of behaving at the airport. Some look prepared and confident, some are relaxed and others are stressed and worried for the upcoming flight. The airport itself has its own type of culture. Everyone participates it the same simple act but accept it in very different ways. As I thought about how our flight to India will be I considered what the culture will be like when we get to India. I am curious what family we will end up staying with. How many kids will they have, what the parents will be like, where will they live.
Is the location of our house going to be convenient to both Beau's and my projects. Are we going to be near both the farms and a monastery. How are the people in our observation locations going to accept us and communicate fairly freely with us. It will be a different experience but we will learn to blend with the culture. It will be an experience that I will never forget. ( I meant to disscuss location to a further exent but my brother's wedding is calling me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment