Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mundgod: Mini Tibet

The last article I read " Mundgod's Tibetan Farmers on Organic Methods and the Monsoon Pattern" really cemented or, at least, made me more confident on what I want to research. I love the personality of the paper  even though it may not go as deep into the topic as I plan on going. I keep on being tossed back an forth on how much farming actually happened in Tibet.

This article made it clear that it was little and of the farming done it was mostly family farms. In Tibet they did have pesticides so they just maintained natural organic farming. Once they were exiled to India they immediately were taught about pesticides and they became widely used. Now the Dalai Lama is highly advising against it because organic foods are healthier for the body.

Over the years Mundgod has become known as a "Mini Tibet". Mundgod is a showcase of Tibetan culture and life style. It is considered to be one of the largest Tibetan settlements. Its main industry is agriculture but this may change as it continues to transition from a traditional society into modernity. If it is possible I would like to visit Mundgood to see the differences between Bylakuppe and Mundgod. From the readings it seems as though Bylakuppe's farms are more governmentally controlled where Mundgod seems more family oriented but I guess I will never really know until I can see for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment