Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Discovering Tibet

We bought our tickets!!!! I am officially going to India! The BYU travel office definitely knows what they are doing. We are planning to arrive in Bangalore live in Bylakuppe for 3 months then travel the coast and northern India for 2 weeks then fly out of Delhi. Of course during those 3 months we will be doing our field studies. I am getting more and more excited about living with a traditional Tibetan family. The idea of learning a knew culture is absolutely fascinating. Its a new kind of food, new traditions, new symbols, and new religious beliefs and understanding.

The more I think about my project the broader I realize it is. I really want to get in contact with a professor to help me narrow down my ideas so I can focus on a more specific subject (although that will probably change even more when I'm in India).

This week I decided to look at the more general facts about Tibet and in doing so I read an article titled China's Tibet. I thought it would be very controversial, which it was to some extent. The article stated many facts that attempted to show how China's rule over Tibet has benefited the country. Although the facts support the idea it is not necessarily better. The economy may be more well off but has the culture suffered? Although I am certainly not qualified, I would have to say that it most certainly has suffered. Maybe in the future (when I have time) I will educate myself on the matter. I think it would be even more interesting to compare current Tibet with exiled Tibetan communities like Bylakuppe.... when I am rich and can afford to go visit both but for now looking at Bylakuppes agriculaure will suffice.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting tickets!!! That is always exciting! Great post!

    ReplyDelete