Thursday, January 12, 2012

What is farming like in India?

In the article Agriculture: Tibetan Organic Farming posted by the Department of Home: Central Tibetan Administration it addresses a few questions I had such as: How do the Tibetans keep the soil nutrients maintained, who takes care of the farm, and how did the Tibetans learn to farm on India's soil.

Previous to the exile of the Tibetan citizens families were able to provide organic crops for the whole family. When they arrived in India families were not provided with enough farming area for families, particularly organic farming so individuals had to leave the home to find work. In 2002 the Exile Tibetan Government set up a plan to encourage settlements to provide for their families, Indians, and the whole world through organic farming. This is being achieved through training Tibetan exiles to rotate crops, create natural composts, and construct proper irrigation systems using India's different environment.

From what I read in the article the farming community has been well established or it is, at least, well on its way. But how does it compare to America? I don't really know, nor do I believe I will completely understand until I arrive in Bylakuppe and see for myself. BUT I can't just see how it is done, I need to communicate with the farmers and see how the master their land. I want to know and begin to feel what they feel about their land and what they are accomplishing. As for my own experience when I begin to prepare a piece of land for farming I make sure I clean out the rocks as best I can, treat the soil so that it is prepared to harvest the best crops possible, and care for each plant to the best of my ability. In the end I am very proud of what I have accomplished. Do the Tibetan people take pride in what they accomplish? I guess I will find out. This kind of thing I will not be able to feel through papers or others telling me- It will be through knowing the people, knowing the farmers and families. India, Here I come!


http://ctrc.tibet.net/agriculture.html

No comments:

Post a Comment