Monday, January 30, 2012

Organic Research and Training Center

While I was researching the Tibetan Farm Project I found a brief description on tibet.net suggesting that the name has been changed to Organic Research and Training Center (ORTC). Part of the reason for this change is that the farm has been expanded from testing organic farming to being committed to organic and, as a result, using it to train others on organic farming. The project is now used for various organic crops, fruits, vegetable training and demonstration, and herbs for medicinal and kitchen purposes. Bylakuppe plays a critical role in sharing their knowledge about organic farming and teaching other Tibetan farmers and community leaders how organic farming works.

I am particularly interested in the medicinal herbs that they are growing on the farm and how they are used in the home. My hope is that I will be able to attend meetings at the ORTC and work on the farm so that I can understand how it works and how they learned to work it. I would like to talk to the leaders of the program to interview how they have created such a program and how it is benefiting the Tibetan Settlements.

No comments:

Post a Comment